Avon consists mainly of one family houses, several apartments and condominiums. It is bounded on the north by the Borough of Bradley Beach, and on the south by the Borough of Belmar. It has a land area of about four-tenths of one square mile and a year round population of approximately 2,100. The Borough of Avon-by-the-Sea is governed by a three member Board of Commissioners.
Avon has a municipal complex which houses the Borough Administration Offices, the Municipal Court and the Police and Fire Departments. The Municipal Complex is located on Main Street in front of a park and includes a recreational area facility with a gymnasium which is extensively used by youth and senior groups. The Borough also has a park containing a ball field, and a recreational area with tennis courts.
In addition to its beautiful beaches, the Borough has a municipally owned and operated pool and a boardwalk spanning the entire length of the Borough. Two marinas are located in the Borough on the Shark River and contain facilities for boating and fishing.
The town as "Avon-By-The-Sea" came into existence when it was incorporated under an act of legislature as a borough on March 23, 1900. Where the name Avon comes from is something that a good many people wonder about, but it is easily enough understood when one considers that even in the days of "Key East" that the hotel at the foot of Sylvania Avenue was known as the "Avon" Inn. It is not logical then to believe that when the town was renamed they patterned after the name and called the borough Avon-By-The-Sea.
For more information or to make reservations..
Please call.. 1-732-776-7770